Open House/Chicken BBQ
Join us on September 21, 2019
11:00 - 2:00
This eighth-annual event will be held on Saturday, September 21, 2019 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Again, it will be held at the Sugar Valley Historical Society located in Bull Run.
You may enjoy an eat-in picnic lunch which includes:
Amish grilled chicken leg and thigh
Homemade baked beans
Or you may wish to purchase take-out meals. The museum and school will be open which you may tour free of charge.
Some people consider September as the back-to-school month. So, as you tour the Bull Run School, consider reverting back to your school days and take a test. Once again, Chuck Sweeny will be your tour guide in the one-room school and will be administering the test entitled “Baker’s Dozen.” A winner will be declared, and a prize will be given just before the annual raffle ticket drawing at 1:00 p.m.
Also, fill out a "passport" at the open house for a chance to win prizes ("click" on passport on this website for more information).
Open House/Chicken BBQ - 2018
We held our 7th Annual Museum Open House/Chicken Barbecue on Saturday, September 22, 2018.
Visitors toured the museum and Bull Run one-room school and enjoyed the chicken barbecue meal.
The day's event was a great success thanks to society members, volunteers, and our Amish friends who cooked the chicken.
Following are some photos taken the day of the Open House:
These woman are members of the Sugar Valley Historical Society in the food line getting ready to serve customers.
Pictured above are: Shirley Miller-Young, Sloan Snyder, Jane Leiter, Verna Carey, Janice Abbott, and Pat Meyer.
Pictured here are four sisters of 17 siblings from the Forrest and Hazel Lamey family.
From left to right: Twins Lois Heckel and Louise Frankenberger, Janet Meyer, and Sarah Heggenstaller.
Visitors enjoying the Chicken Barbecue.
Pictured above and seated from left to right are some members of the Sugar Valley High School class of 1955: Suzanne Hancock Gilbert, Norma Stamm Miller, Eunice Moyer Jeffries, Shelva Snook Brubaker, Beulah Quiggle Neff, and Gene Roberts. These youngsters meet once a month at a different place for their class reunion. For the past couple of years in September, they have chosen the Open House as their outing. This year marks 63 years since they graduated.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Old Hand Tool Contest
During the Open House/Chicken BBQ on September 22, 2018, a quiz was once again administered by Charles Sweeny in the one-room school. This year’s contest was called “The Old Hand Tool Contest.”
Grady Leiter prepared a peg board and John Carey offered to display 11 of his personal old hand tools. A blank sheet of paper numbered 1 through 11 was distributed to visitors to compete for the contest.
Jerry Miller was the winner with 8 correct answers. Pictured above is Charles Sweeny presenting Jerry Miller with a certificate for his knowledge of old tools. Jerry also received a book of his choice sold by the Sugar Valley Historical Society.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Raffle Ticket Drawing..2018
The raffle ticket drawing was held during the Chicken Barbecue/Museum Open House on September 22, 2018 at 1:00 p.m. Pictured at right is a display of some of the prizes.
Thank you to everyone who donated, congratulations to everyone who participated and who won prizes. It was a very successful fundraising activity!
Following is a listing of the prizes, donors, and the winners of the 2018 raffle ticket drawing.
1. Covered Bridges Handcrafted Quilted Throw (Barb Sweeny) - Lester Miller, Loganton
2. Handcrafted Vinyl Park Bench (Mountainside Lawn Furniture) - Barbara Smith, Loganton
3. Child’s Handcrafted Wooden Barn (Grady Leiter) - Sheila Carey, Shippensburg
4. Cash - $50 (Bressler’s Garage, Inc.) - Jane Markle, Millheim
5. Cash - $50 (Bressler’s Garage, Inc.) - Barry Miller, Howard
6. Cash - $50 (Bressler’s Garage, Inc.) - Leslye Miller, Loganton
7. Cash - $50 (R & S Miller Trucking) - Matthew Snyder, Loganton
8. Cash - $50 (R & S Miller Trucking) - Debra Mark, Loganton
9. Cash - $50 (Winter Road Supply) - Norma Miller, Lamar
10. Gift Certificate - $50 (Country Cupboard) - Crist Fisher, Montgomery
11. Gift Certificate - $50 (Loganton Country Store) - Gretchen Lachat, Jersey Shore
12. Handcrafted Wooden Bird Feeder (Dan Esh Doors and Windows) - Bob Mills, Loganton
13. Handcrafted Wooden Bird Feeder (Dan Esh Doors and Windows) - Shirley Weaver, Loganton
14. Child’s Handcrafted Cupboard (Grady Leiter) - Tyson Dixon, Lock Haven
15. Gift Certificate - PA State Inspection (Carroll Alignment) - Judy Karstetter
16. Gift Certificate - Free Oil Change (Carroll Alignment) - Ken Karstetter, McElhattan
17. Cash - $25 (Earl’s Garage) - Barb Loner, South Williamsport
18. Cash - $25 (R & S Miller Trucking) - Barb Smith, Loganton
19. Cash - $25 (R & S Miller Trucking) - Chuck Sweeny, Loganton
20. Cash - $25 (Schrack’s Valley Service) - Curtis Frantz, Loganton
21. Cash - $25 (Schrack’s Valley Service) - Tom Ruhl, Jr., Loganton
22. Gift Certificate - $25 (Scenic Ridge Foods) - Janice Abbott, Loganton
23. Gift Certificate - $25 (Scenic Ridge Foods) - Rita O’Brien, Lock Haven
24. Gift Certificate - $25 (Ingram’s Markets) - Bill Frantz, Loganton
25. Gift Certificate - $25 (Ingram’s Markets) - Betty Wagner, Loganton
26. Gift Certificate - $25 (Ingram’s Markets) - Coreena Meyer, Loganton
27. Gift Certificate - $25 (Hillside Variety) - Deb Lamey, Mill Hall
28. Gift Certificate - $25 (Main Street Scents - Candles and Moore) - Shelva Brubaker, Loganton
29. Gift Certificate - $25 (Twilight Diner) - Deb Lamey, Mill Hall
30. Cash - $20 (E K Structures) Patti McClelland, Williamsport
31. DeWalt 80-Piece Drill Accessory Set (Kauffman’s Store) - Norma Miller, Lamar
32. Mint Craft 15-Piece Air Accessory Set (Kauffman’s Store) - Kris Stabley, Jersey Shore
33. 10” and 6” Vice Grips (Kauffman’s Store) - John Carey, Loganton
34. Handcrafted Wooden Primitive Lamp (Mother & Daughter Primitives - Holly Barner & Vanessa) - Ken Hess, Mill Hall
35. Handcrafted Wooden Kitchen Shopping Note Hanger (Anthony Rishel) - Lillian Whiteman, Manheim
36. Handcrafted Easter Wreath (Peppermint Patty Creations - Patricia Summers) - Sean Connolly, Marshall, VA
37. Gift Basket (Meyer Tax and Business Services - Coreena Meyer) - Jim Breining, Jersey Shore
38. Longaberger Gift Basket (Verna Carey) - Fran Kemmerer, Loganton
39. 1840-2015 Sugar Valley Anniversary Crock (Sugar Valley Historical Society) - Coja Yamashita, Loganton
40. Metal Pumpkin Lantern Holder (Sugar Valley Historical Society) - Cathy Pfister, Sellersville
41. 5 Lions Club Plates (Sugar Valley Historical Society) - Deb Burd, Bellefonte
42. Sugar Valley 175th Anniversary Book (Sugar Valley Historical Society) - Courtney Meyer, Loganton
43. Sugar Valley 125th and 150th Anniversary Reprint Book (Sugar Valley Historical Society) - Walter Barner, Loganton
44. Sugar Valley Villages Book (Sugar Valley Historical Society) - Verna Carey, Loganton
45. Sugar Valley 175th Anniversary Cookbook (Sugar Valley Historical Society) - Barry Miller, Loganton
46. Prince and Pauper Book (Sugar Valley Historical Society) - Donald Miller, Loganton
47. Cash - $10 (Dar’s Diner) - Deanna Harmon, Loganton
48. Cash - $10 (Dar’s Diner) - Wanda Engel, Williamsport
49. Gift Certificate - Dozen Donuts (Nan’s Donuts) - Marilyn Heggenstaller, Bedford, WY
50. Gift Certificate - Dozen Donuts (Nan’s Donuts) - Scott Remish, Montgomery
Dedicated to the preservation of historical significance of Sugar Valley and the central Pennsylvania area.