On May 31st the Willys Overland Knight Registry local chapter came by our museum and school to visit. They came from several states, guided by Brian L. Miller of Tylersville, who was the president of the club for over 20 years, to learn more about our area. The group of 17 toured the school and museum and since they arrived in their automobiles even enlightened us on their machines and club. A grand time was had by all!
This local chapter of the W.O.K.R meets once or twice a year and the club mission is “ To bring together all who own, admire, and are interested in the preservation of vehicles powered by sleeve valve engines or related family of Willys-Overland vehicles from 1903-1942.”
Their web site is www.wokr.org. They are a non profit group.
Pictured left to right:
Kim Reynolds, Dolores Keesey, Rosanna Neynaber, Linda Albertson, Laura Rossitto, and Diana Poirier
Six women from the San Diego, CA area visited the Bull Run school and the museum on October 17, 2018.
Kim Reynolds contacted the historical society and scheduled the tour. The trip was a 60th birthday present from her husband and herself. The friends were touring several sites throughout central Pennsylvania including Nan’s Donuts, the Logan Mills covered bridge, Kauffman’s Store, and the Country Cupboard.
While in the museum, Helen gave an historical overview of Sugar Valley and Yvonne and Helen spoke about some of the donated inventoried items. The visitors also sat at the student desks in the school, viewed the large Floyd Klobe still donated by the Neff family and the girl and boy outhouses.
We hope the Californians had as much fun visiting as we did as having them as our guests! We told them: “If one once visits Sugar Valley, one will surely have to return!”
On October 25, 2018, the two first-grade classes from the Sugar Valley Rural Charter School visited the one-room Bull Run School and Museum. Their teachers, Mrs. Rossman and Ms. Hinton, and the assistants, Mrs. Lamey and Mrs. Barner, accompanied them on the field trip.
The two classes were split into four groups and rotated between the one-room school, museum, tool shed/outhouses, and recess. At the tool shed, Anthony Rishel told the students about the old tools and how they were used. In the museum, Helen Imes informed the students that the items displayed were artifacts from Sugar Valley and donated by the community. She explained some of the items to them and then had a question and answer session. Charles Sweeny spoke about how it was when students attended the one-room school and they also had a question and answer session. While at recess in the school yard, Yvonne Weaver told them games children played in the early 1900s. She played tag and the game “Button Button Who Has The Button” with them.
Each group got to listen to the school bell ringing in the belfry.
A group picture was taken and each student was given a Sugar Valley Historical Society bookmark for a keepsake.
Dedicated to the preservation of historical significance of Sugar Valley and the central Pennsylvania area.